Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Truck stereo is officially done... for now.




I got the Alpine in and hooked up. It sounds really good, but I am not using the amps in the deck so... The controls on that thing are so messed up. They are so illogical that you can't go through the menus without the book, and certainly not while driving. As of now, I can't get to the folders on my iPod. I can play songs, but that is just from the list. With over 4,000 songs on the pod, it is kind of hard to find what you want right now. The other dumb thing is that you can advance to the next song with a button on the front. That is fine, Once you do it takes about five seconds for the ID to come onto the screen. Ok, that is fine I guess. But if you hit the folders menu, then you can do a fast scroll through songs using the rotary knob. NICE! Except that as you advance it just says "track 257", "track 258" , etc. So you have to stop on each one and listen to see what it is. Kind of defeats the point of the rotary knob.
I am going to update the software on my iPod just in case that has anything to do with it.
I wasted an hour today trying to figure out how I wired the old stereo before the Alpine. When I turned this one on last night I got a HUGE amp pop through the speakers. So I took it all apart and realized that I ran the switched power to the HU and the amps off of the same source instead of using the external power out signal out of the HU. But I could NOT figure out what was going on with the wiring I did before. It did not make sense. Finally I found a splice that was hidden. I undid that and wired it like I should have in the first place. That is fixed now.

If you have not heard the kid playing Pachelbel's Canon in D on his guitar then you should check this out. Really nice tones, and the kid is really quick.
There is another kid playing the same thing but I like the first one better. But now I am being picky. I wish I could play like either one of them.

No comments: