Wednesday, June 28, 2006

NEW ROOF!

For those of you not up to speed with our roof deal, here is the short version. Hail 2 years ago. Most roofs on the block replace. Notable exception were the 2 on the end insured by State Farm. A month ago: more hail. The house across the street gets new roof this time out. So we call SF and they come out and say ours is fine. He says se have organic shingles and they are really only good for 10 to 15 years. He says they look really bad but that is just how they are. I asked him how long he thinks they will last. He says I probably have another 10 years in them. WTF? That does not add up. Meanwhile, the house just down the street is getting theirs replaced for a SECOND time and somehow our "magic shingles" don't get any damage. I call again. Second guy comes out. The first guy stays in the truck, but I know they have talked about it on the way over and I feel like his mind is made up as he got out of the truck. He is very nice and explains exactly why I am the one person that does not get a new roof.
So today I went in to talk to my agent who has been on vacation. I had planned on asking him how much it is going to cost when the kids start driving in a few months and then tell him he won't see any of that because we are probably leaving him. First thing he asks: How's the twins. :-) I told him they are in driver's ed. ($$$) He said there is one last thing we can do: call the supervisor. I told him that when this was over we would probably be looking for new insurance just on principal. I really like him and told him so, but this is just wrong.
Today she came over and the second guy was in the truck. That did not make me feel very good about things. I did not hear them knock as I was in the shop. Bentley started barking like a fool and looking up. So I go out. They are up already so I don't go up with them. I figured it is a done deal. She came down and said that between the damage of '04 and this last one, that there is a claim to be made. *WOOT*
That is a big load off of our minds. I swore that when this was done I was going to change companies. No matter how it came out. But after talking to agent Geoff, I am not so hell bent on it. I really wanted to get the second check and then tell them that we should not have had to fight this much to get what is coming to us.
We will see.
But I am glad that is done.

No comments: