Sunday, September 10, 2006

still working on getting the house done

We have painted almost every room and ceiling in the house now. Replaced almost all of the carpet. Today I ripped out the hallway carpet upstairs. It really needed to be replaced, but was going to be a bitch to do and so we decided to leave it. But then we put in new carpet in the bedrooms around the hall and all of a sudden the hallway carpet looks like hell, so out it came. I really think that we will be done with major stuff after that. Just a lot of small fix-it stuff that should have been done before. Need to repair the sliding door where the dog scratched on it. I was reminded why I don't want another cat when I pulled up all of the carpet in the house and got to smell that. Not to mention replacing the door jamb and several sets of door casings that the cats destroyed. I already replaced some drywall downstairs a few years ago because it was destroyed by them.
The house really looks nice. The new brighter paint and the carpet makes it look and smell new. I really hate to leave here. I already know that we won't get what we should for it because of the decline of the neighborhood, but I am hoping that we can do okay with it and get out before it gets any worse. I also hope that when people come over to look at it they do it before school is out. I had a day off last week and I was amazed at how quiet and nice it was during the day. You don't have kids running in the street spitting on each other and then yelling, "YOU BASTARD!" Thank you Iowa City for letting this part of the town go to hell.

No comments: