Monday, August 14, 2006

new home.


It is all but official. Things are looking good for getting a new house. Away from the CRAP THAT THE IOWA CITY - CITY COUNCIL AND HABITAT FOR HUMANITY has dumped over here. I like to keep putting that in because there is a chance that Google might find it and people can know that I think HABITAT FOR HUMANITY SUCKS AND THEY CAN KISS MY ASS.
I digress.....
We found a developement near the kid's school. The bad part is that it is farther to get to everything else. By everything else, I mean Work and Menard's. But that is cool. There is a house that Mary fell in love with but it was not going to work because of my silly need for a shop. It is very large, but if I took over the basement with a shop, we would lose an office, a guest room, we would lose the pool table and the den space that we enjoy in this house. So it looked like they could build another garage stall beside the 2 and I could put a shop in there. Heating it might be harder, but it was a solution. But they came back and said they could only go 14x22. That just was not going to work. I tried to explain to her why and she did not get it. My current shop is 20x20 and if I had it to do over, I would have made it at least 24 feet on one side. 14x22 would be a tool museum where you could look at tools, but not use them. Then the builder suggested that he could excavate the area under the garage and put a shop there. It would be 20x20. DING!
I don't really like the looks of the house so much from the front, but I can live with it. It is really laid out cool inside. The great room is valuted up to the second floor and you overlook it from a walkway that goes to each bedroom. The kitchen is great. There is a nice screen porch and the bedrooms are about 2x bigger then here. We don't have a basement here so when the tornado sirens go off we just hope for the best. Not only will this have a basement, but the shop will be a like a bomb shelter with cement all around. Hopefully we will never need it, but it will be a good feeling to be able to go there when the storms come. The yards are a bit smaller then I would like, but I can live with that.
I GOT MY SHOP! *woot*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW nice man, guess Ill need to fly in and visit you now! hahah. You would be fool not to get a kegorator with the new digs! later bro.

Anonymous said...

Make sure to get a firemans pole running from the top floor to your Den/office/woodbending/basement. That would kick ass!

brent said...

fireman's pole.... hmmmm *ponders*

Anonymous said...

Cool & congrats! My shop is 12 x 30. It's more bowling alley than shop but I put everything I could on mobile bases.

Brass Pear said...

Nice digs. Which neighborhood are you in?